Sunday, August 2, 2009

Updating iPhone 3G to 3.01

I have recently downgraded from iPhone 3.1 beta 2 firmware back to 3.0 with the guide provided as in my earlier post here.

When Apple announced the release of 3.01, I downloaded but not installing, fear that I will lost my tethering using Celcom 3G.

For your information, Maxis is the authorised Apple Carrier in Malaysia, and my carrier, Celcom is not.

What happened was in 3.1 beta 2 firmware, Apple imposed key signing to IPCC (Carrier bundle definition) which effectively stop unauthorised modification to the IPCC. Since Celcom is not an authorised carrier, there's no IPCC made for Celcom. I have customised one, managed to install, but failed.

That's the reason why I fallback to 3.0.

After fallback to 3.0, my baseband firmware remains 05.10.01, which is essentially the 3.1 beta 2 baseband version.

Thus, to update to 3.01, I have a slightly different scenario than most others who just update from 3.0 to 3.01, as their baseband firmware is 04.26.08.

So I really dunno whether update will screw up my iPhone 3G. I decided to give it a try, as a return of favour to @SpaceFlightO who has been generously lending his helping hand during my downgrade process.

@SpaceFlightO is having the same situation like me, and he is yet to test if his method still work for 3.1 Beta 2 -> 3.0 -> 3.01 where baseband is the latest version.

I did an update to 3.01, after all the waiting, iTunes complaints that my iPhone 3G turned to recovery mode, that I will need to do a complete restore.

I did a restore, then use the method @SpaceFlightO written in his post here, and iPhone 3G comes back.

After verifying with Apple on activation, my iPhone 3G comes back.

Instead of copying content from the backup set, I treat my iPhone as a new phone and sync all info back again.

What I lost are usernames and passwords that I have set for applications installed on my iPhone, means I will have to manually set again. Also SMS content is gone (of which I have done a backup via iTunes before I did the firmware update/restore, I still have a copy on my MacBook).

In short, I managed to update to 3.01 with baseband firmware from 3.1 beta 2, and I got my tethering back for my non Apple carrier - CELCOM.





Updated to 3.01, with baseband 05.10.01, using default carrier bundle which disables MMS and tethering by default.






After installing the customized IPCC bundle for Celcom 3G, tethering comes back.

No comments:

Post a Comment