Sunday, July 12, 2009

broadband war - speed test round 1

I was thinking about getting an alternative to backup our home streamyx broadband, of which has been given us miserable access speed from time to time, and worse, when it went down, Telekom, the provder of Streamyx, often took days to rectify whatever problem it may be, if not weeks.

I am using a Celcom 3GX on my iPhone, which should give me, in theory, download speed of up to 3.6Mbps. I do not have a Maxis 3G, as well as Digi and U-Mobile 3G accounts. However, I am certain that Digi 3G not reaching my area, same to U-Mobile.

Of course, besides the 3G networks, we do have Jaring here. Jaring is offering fixed wireless service similar to Streamyx, but my consideration is to ensure that the connectivity is portable thus it can be our travel companion, I mean both my wife and me.

So I started a simple test today, on the 3 ISPs, i.e. Streamyx 1Mbps ADSL by Telekom. Although Telekom does offer 2Mbps and 4Mbps ADSL respectively, it does not cover our area.

Equipment I used as follow:
1. Sierra U8775 Mini Card OEM edition
2. Apple iPhone 3G
3. Macbook with 4GB RAM running Safari 4.02 browser.

Measurement was taken using Speedtest.net web-based application.

I choose to test at local time 03:00 to ensure that there are least people on these network at my area.

First, I tested Maxis 3G SIM with the Sierra U8775 MiniCard OEM version, followed by Celcom 3G SIM on iPhone 3G.

Then I swapped the SIM cards and tested again.

The average result is as follow. Depending on what you are looking for, i.e. speed or monthly commitment, Maxis is attractive in price but urgly when comes to facts where as Celcom 3G is comfortably out-performed Maxis.



Streamyx (base)

Maxis

Celcom

Winner

Technology

ADSL

3G/HSDPA

3G/HSDPA

N/A

Monthly subscription

RM88

RM68

RM98

Maxis

max D/L speed (Mbps)

1

3.6

3.6


max U/L speed (Kbps)

384

384

384


max data volume (GB)

5

3

3







distance from nearest cell tower (m)

N/A

140

860







Speed test results





Latency (ms)

72

225

251

Maxis

Download (Mbps)

0.79

0.88

1.63

Celcom

Upload (Mbps)

0.29

0.06

0.11

Celcom

















No comments:

Post a Comment